MN-S disappointed by federal government decision to appeal Daniels v. Canada
In a news release the Métis Nation – Saskatchewan stated it is disappointed with the decision by the Government of Canada to appeal the Harry Daniels et al v. Canada case.
"It is no surprise that the federal governmet has appealed the Daniels decision," said Robert Doucette, President of Métis Nation – Saskatchewan.
"However, we believe that the decision to appeal is a lost opportunity on the part of the federal government to begin negotiating, in good faith, the long overdue implementation of our rights. Minister Duncan made his point in Parliament that programs and services need to be fiscally sustainable, yet the really sad thing is that the federal government is going to continue to spend millions of taxpayers' dollars to litigate this at the expense of the Métis people.
"As taxpayers, Métis people want to know that their investment in Canada leads to a higher standard of living for them, just like every other Canadian has come to expect. Appealing the Daniels decision means our Métis people will continue to be living in jurisdictional limbo, leaving them under-funded, living below the poverty line, untrained and unemployed, and with the highest rate of chronic disease. All our people can look forward to is the continuing story of being Canada's forgotten people.
Read more on the Daniels decison: http://www.ammsa.com/publications/windspeaker/federal-court-rules-m%C3%A9tis-and-non-status-indians-are-indians
- Community Access
- Contact Us
- Our History
- Archives Search
- In Depth
- Subscribers Only
Share this with friends
- Truth and Reconcilliation Commission Final Event and Recommendations
- Relationship between Canada's Justice System and Aboriginal People
- Play Radio Bingo to win!
- Buffalo Spirit Foundation
- Western Association of Aboriginal Broadcasters (WAAB)
- November 2 - 2016
- November 16 - 2016
- November 30 - 2016
- December 14 - 2016
- January 11 - 2017
- January 25 - 2017
- Free Digital Edition of Windspeaker!
- Download AMMSA media kits for:
* Windspeaker - Alberta Sweetgrass
* SK Sage - BC Raven's Eye - ON Birchbark
* CFWE-FM - Alberta Radio Network
- Advertising online: www.ammsa.com
Subscribe & Donate
- Order a Windspeaker or Sweetgrass digital subscription
- Make a donation to assist Windspeaker via gofundme