Monument of apology to Nutak and Hebron communities
In August 2012, the federal government unveiled a monument consisting of three separate plaques, each in English and Inuktitut marking an apology that was issued in 2005 by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador to the Inuit of the former Nutak and Hebron communities, closed in 1956 and 1959, respectively. The provincial government apologized for the way in which the decision to close the communities was made and for the difficulties experienced by the Inuit of Nutak and Hebron, and their descendants, as a result of the closures.
The first plaque presents the statement of apology by the provincial government to the Inuit of Nutak and Hebron; the second displays the Inuit’s acceptance of the apology; and the third plaque identifies the names of all the former residents of Nutak. A similar monument was erected in Hebron and unveiled during a ceremony in 2009.