Share this with friends
Inform, Impact and Inspire is what we do.
Independent and Indigenous is who we are.
Windspeaker, Canada's National Indigenous source for news, issues and culture is a magazine owned and operated by the Aboriginal Multi-Media Society (AMMSA) which serves diverse readers throughout Canada.
Launched on March 18, 1983 - the "AMMSA Newspaper" as it was titled - was focused on serving the readers of northern Alberta exclusively. The publication was officially renamed Windspeaker in March 1986. Distribution was a modest 5,000 copies every two weeks.
Over the next 5 years Windspeaker continually expanded to serve readers in a growing service area that included all of Alberta and then western Canada. Finally, in 1993, on the publication's 10th anniversary, Windspeaker was positioned to become Canada's first truly national Aboriginal publication. The editorial focuse was expanded and a network of freelance writers and staff was established throughout Canada. Distribution was increased to 20,000 copies.
Now as Windspeaker celebrates its 32nd year of publishing, it is firm in its commitment to maintain a current, relevant, objective and independent viewpoint while reporting news, and providing information, current affairs and entertainment features with the utmost accuracy – and always from the Indigenous perspective.
Windspeaker, since its inception, has strived to achieve and maintain the highest journalistic standards and ethics. This determination has been rewarded with recognition and numerous awards for journalistic quality and achievement. Windspeaker regularly receives acclaim from its peers in the Indigenous media as well as having received an award for best investigative reporting from the Canadian Journalists Association.
Windspeaker magazine is published 12 times each year. Present national circulation has reached more than 20,000 with a readership in excess of 150,000
- Community Access
- Contact Us
- Our History
- Archives Search
- In Depth
- Subscribers Only
- AMMSA History and Mission
- Alberta Sweetgrass - Alberta's Aboriginal Publication
- BC Raven's Eye - BC and Yukon's Aboriginal Publication
- CFWE-FM - The Native Perspective
- Ontario Birchbark - Ontario's Aboriginal Publication
- Saskatchewan Sage - Saskatchewan's Aboriginal Publication
- Windspeaker - Canada's National Aboriginal News Source
Share this with friends
- Truth and Reconcilliation Commission Final Event and Recommendations
- Relationship between Canada's Justice System and Aboriginal People
- Play Radio Bingo to win!
- Buffalo Spirit Foundation
- Western Association of Aboriginal Broadcasters (WAAB)
- November 2 - 2016
- November 16 - 2016
- November 30 - 2016
- December 14 - 2016
- January 11 - 2017
- January 25 - 2017
- Free Digital Edition of Windspeaker!
- Download AMMSA media kits for:
* Windspeaker - Alberta Sweetgrass
* SK Sage - BC Raven's Eye - ON Birchbark
* CFWE-FM - Alberta Radio Network
- Advertising online: www.ammsa.com
Subscribe & Donate
- Order a Windspeaker or Sweetgrass digital subscription
- Make a donation to assist Windspeaker via gofundme