Check out our Aboriginal Job Board!
Share this with friends
Windspeaker, Canada's National Aboriginal source for news, issues and culture is a magazine owned and operated by the Aboriginal Multi-Media Society (AMMSA) which serves diverse readers throughout Canada.
Launched on March 18, 1983 - the "AMMSA Newspaper" as it was titled - was focused on serving the readers of northern Alberta exclusively. The publication was officially renamed Windspeaker in 1984. Distribution was a modest 5,000 copies every two weeks.
Over the next 5 years Windspeaker continually expanded to serve readers in a growing service area that included all of Alberta and then western Canada. Finally, in 1993, on the publication's 10th anniversary, Windspeaker was positioned to become Canada's first truly national Aboriginal publication. The editorial focuse was expanded and a network of freelance writers and staff was established throughout Canada. Distribution was increased to 20,000 copies.
Now as Windspeaker celebrates its 29th year of publishing, it is firm in its commitment to maintain a current, relevant, objective and independent viewpoint while reporting news, and providing information, current affairs and entertainment features with the utmost accuracy – and always from the Aboriginal perspective.
Windspeaker, since its inception, has strived to achieve and maintain the highest journalistic standards and ethics. This determination has been rewarded with recognition and numerous awards for journalistic quality and achievement. Windspeaker regularly receives acclaim from its peers in the Aboriginal media as well as having received an award for best investigative reporting from the Canadian Journalists Association.
Windspeaker magazine is published 12 times each year. Present national circulation has reached more than 24,000 with a readership in excess of 140,000
- Community Access
- Contact Us
- Our History
- Archives Search
- In Depth
- AMMSA History and Mission
- Alberta Sweetgrass - Alberta's Aboriginal Publication
- BC Raven's Eye - BC and Yukon's Aboriginal Publication
- CFWE-FM - The Native Perspective
- Ontario Birchbark - Ontario's Aboriginal Publication
- Saskatchewan Sage - Saskatchewan's Aboriginal Publication
- Windspeaker - Canada's National Aboriginal News Source
Share this with friendsPinterest
- The #IdleNoMore Movement
- Relationship between Canada's Justice System and Aboriginal People
- Indian Country Community Events Listings
- Play Radio Bingo to win!
- CFWE-FM Alberta Radio Network
- Buffalo Spirit Foundation
- Western Association of Aboriginal Broadcasters (WAAB)
- May Windspeaker - April 29
- May Raven's Eye - April 29
- May Saskatchewan Sage - April 29
- May Alberta Sweetgrass - May 13
- Download 2013 AMMSA media kits for:
* Sage - Raven's Eye - Birchbark
- Online advertising on www.ammsa.com.
Subscribe & Donate
- Order a Windspeaker digital subscription
- Order a Windspeaker print subscription
- Support independent, Indigenous media in Canada by making a donation via paypal